Translate

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

8-Track Review - "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum



Program 1 - Jubilee, Tars Of India
Program 2 - Spirit In The Sky, Good Lookin' Woman
Program 3 - Alice Bodine, Milk Cow, Skyline (part 1)
Program 4 - Skyline (part 2), Marcy, Junior Cadillac

"When I die and I lay me to rest, gonna go to the place thats the best". Who has not heard that immortal lyric at least 100 times? It was with great excitement when I came across this admittedly ratty look cart.

Let me start by saying that this is a rare cart. I have seen literally tens of thousands of 8-tracks, and this is the first copy of this I have ever come across. Except for Sinatra and Martin, Reprise 8-tracks are not all that common in the first place, so that may play a part in the scarcity of this cart. Another player may be that it is not very good. Of course, the title track is a AM/FM classic, and it deserves to be. Nothing else on the cart comes even close to "SITS", either for musicanship, or songwriting. The low point is "Milk Cow". This album smells like it was thrown together around a hit single. The biggest bummer about this cart was that it was one that I had been looking for for some time. Oh well.

Norman Greenbaum has a website, and I emailed him to let him know that I had just finished listening to him on 8-track. His response was basically "I am on 8-track. Wow". I thought that was a cool response. Maybe some day I will be on 8-track too! Wow!

Keeper?: Nah. If you want it, trade me something cool for it.
Number of ka-chunks: Only one, and that is due to "SITS" itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't say I disagree with this review. What I have always liked about NG (besides his one-hit wonder) is that he has one of the most un-rock'n roll names in the business. Sounds more like an accountant than an indulger in sex, drugs, and rock'n roll. Somewhere, there was a manager pleading with him, "just change your name to Studs Bearcat!" but good old Norman held his ground. He did his momma proud. BTW, where is he now?